Senior Class Convocation - Saturday
The senior class president, university president, and an invited guest speaker will address degree candidates and their families at Senior Class Convocation, the day before graduation. The senior class will also present its class gift to the university.
Saturday, May 28, 2016
Schoellkopf Stadium (gates open 10:00am)
Each year, a Convocation speaker is chosen by diverse members of the student senior class who serve as the Convocation Committee.
The Committee is happy to announce that actor-director James Franco will be the keynote speaker at Senior Convocation on Saturday, the day before graduation.
Students do not wear cap & gown to this event. Students and guests should dress per their comfort level (business-casual is common). We suggest comfortable shoes for walking. Also, the stadium does not have a roof, so please be adequately prepared for weather (sunblock, umbrella, jacket), as deemed necessary for conditions.
Cornell reserves the right to search persons and property.
Parking is free all day on campus and in outlying parking lots. Please be aware of road closures and restrictions by reviewing the Parking & Seating page. Also, review the Maps page for Saturday parking locations, campus bus transportation, closed parking lots, and closed campus roads.
Taxis, hotel shuttle vans, chartered buses, and limousines will be treated as private vehicles and are subject to the same parking regulations and road restrictions.
- Time: Schoellkopf Stadium opens at 10:00am and seating is first come, first served. Guests should plan to be in their seats by 11:30am.
- Seats: Guests may sit in the Crescent (bleachers) or in chairs on the field. Students sit in the audience with their families.
- Mobility-Impaired Seating: see "Mobility Impaired" section below.
- Strollers: The stadium is not conducive to strollers.
- Weather: The stadium does not have a roof, so please prepare for weather (umbrella, sunblock, etc.), as deemed necessary for conditions. (see Inclement Weather Plan)
- Pets: No animals (other than service animals) are allowed inside Schoellkopf Stadium.
Mobility Impaired Parking & Seating
Helpful parking & seating accommodations are available, upon request, for mobility-impaired guests. Details about obtaining and using these permits are outlined on the Mobility Impaired web page. Permits are valid both Saturday (Convocation) and Sunday (Commencement). Special seating arrangements will be available in addition to the parking permit. Maps and instructions are included with the permit. (Note: These permits will allow vehicle access to certain parking areas on campus that are designated for mobility-impaired parking only.)
Sign Language Interpretation
Sign language interpretation is available for Senior Convocation. A sign language interpreter will be located in the Option 1 Mobility Impaired seating area at the south end of Schoellkopf Field. Hearing-impaired guests needing sign language interpretation should (1) apply for an Option 1 Parking Permit to park in the parking garage, and (2) email or call the Commencement Office at 607-255-9541 for a seat in the sign language seating area. Upon entering Schoellkopf Field from the parking garage, ushers and signs will direct guests to the sign language seating area.
Dining - Saturday Lunch Locations
There are several campus dining locations open for lunch on Saturday.
Webcast, Television, and Large-screen Viewing of Senior Convocation
There are a variety of ways to watch the Senior Convocation event on Saturday.
- Webcast: To watch Senior Convocation online, go to www.cornell.edu/video at 11:45am and look for the webcast link posted there that morning.
- Television coverage: Senior Convocation will be televised starting at 11:45am on local Time Warner Cable Channel 16, viewable on televisions in homes and hotels with Time Warner Cable.
- Large-screen viewing: Senior Convocation will be broadcast beginning at 11:45am at these indoor locations: The Cornell Store, Robert Purcell Community Center, and dorm lounges.
This outdoor event is open to the public. There are NO TICKETS required and there is no guest limit. However, this will become a ticketed event under the Inclement Weather Plan (see below).
Inclement Weather Plan & Tickets
Senior Convocation will be held outside at Schoellkopf Stadium in good and fair weather on Saturday. If Saturday's weather is inclement (pouring rain, high winds, lightning, and/or cold temperatures), the event will be moved indoors to Barton Hall, and inclement weather tickets (see below) will be required. A decision to enact the Senior Convocation inclement weather plan will be announced starting at 8:00am on Saturday at www.cornell.edu and www.commencement.cornell.edu. To get the latest weather and campus operating status please check www.cornell.edu. In the case of an indoor ceremony, please consider watching the program via the Cornell webcast or on local Time Warner Cable channel 16. Viewing sites are also set up in residence halls and the campus store.
Inclement Weather Tickets for Senior Convocation: Students will be informed in May about how to obtain e-tickets for inclement weather.
Mobility Impaired Guests: The mobility impaired entrance to Barton Hall is located on the Garden Avenue side of the building. Ushers will be available to assist.
For Senior Convocation questions not answered above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 607-255-5217.